I am a regular reader of PentaxSLR talk on dpreview. I have been collecting a few signatures that made me think or smile – both of which are equally important.
But before reading, there is one important term that you need to be aware of, since it is used regularly on dpreview Pentax forums. Although a Pentax specificity, it may concern other photographers. The term is LBA; the following introduction offers a good summary:
- LanceB coined the phrase sometime back in 2004.
- A discussion ensued and most everyone came to the conclusion that it meant Lens Buying Addiction.
- After further discussion someone suggested a group for therapy called Lens Buying Anonymous, which consisted of those of us in the Pentax SLR forum that suffered from LB(A)ddiction.
- Much was made about whether or not ones LB(A)ddiction was sufficient enough to join LB(A)nonymous.
- It was *almost* agreed upon that to join LB(A)nonymous, a person had to be suffering to such a degree as to own five 50mm lenses.
- Time passed and the owning of five 50mm lenses became less and less of a requirement. Mostly then it was just buying lenses in excess of what one really needed.
- More time passed and it has now evolved into simply buying a lens, any lens. This splurge of lens buying increases by one greater than the one you originally bought with the camera in the first place. Because everyone knows that after buying that one extra lens you have contracted the disease and there is no cure (LB(A)ddiction). You WILL buy more and more and more. And you WILL come here to the forum for help (LB(A)nonomous)
- Fun and games, and cajoling from other LB(A)nonymous members WILL ensue.
Read the rest of the thread if you need more insight on the subject.
Now we are ready to get on to the signatures / quotes. Unless otherwise stated, they all come from the PentaxSLR talk on dpreview.com.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes; art is knowing which ones to keep.
Sethvath (ubuntuforums/art & design) a quote from Scott Adams, creator of Dilbert
life is too short, surf waves, own a convertible, and marry for love!
I have very few faults, but I really make the most of’em
‘Life’s short, take lots of pictures’
Shooting since ’59 and still waiting for a keeper
Ron – ‘We don’t have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.’
Carl – ‘What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.’
‘Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you’ve come from. It will put a smile on your face.’ ~ brandrx
Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel could be another train.
the artist formally known as gus
‘Get what makes you happy
Anything less…. makes you less happy’
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely !
Never mind the diamonds…LENSES are a girl’s best friend!🙂
* Photography records life
Brand loyalty is a character flaw
common sense is anything but common
A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.
– Sir Winston Churchill
* * * * *
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
– Albert Einstein
Look with the eyes, see with the soul.
It’s amazing what one can do when one doesn’t know what one is doing🙂
‘I cried because I had no E-3. Then I met a man with no E-510’
‘If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn’t need to lug around a camera.’ (Lewis Hine)
I shot my wife last night… I mean ‘took photos of’🙂
‘It came to me in a vision… a vision brighter than the sun itself’
But, I over exposed and blew the highlights
The difference between genius and LBA is that genius has its limits.
Janneman (adaptation of the Kings quote from Albert Einstein)
‘I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!’ ~ ‘My Quote🙂’
Mike from Canada
Pixel peepers miss the big picture.
Once you’ve mastered the technique and the equipment, you can concentrate on the more important aspects of photography: originality, atmosphere, emotion and — ultimately — soul.
‘Well, ‘Zooming with your feet’ is usually a stupid thing as zoom rings are designed for hands.’ (Me, 2006)
Judging a photographer on the basis of equipment is like speculating one’s physique from a gym pass.
I am the best proof in the world that Intelligent Design does not exist!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
All them books I didn’t read
They just sat there on my shelf
Looking much smarter than me
A Modest Mouse
Originator of the term ‘LBA’.
All I want is a digital back for my trusty K1000 . . .
Even bad photography can be fun 🙂
> The mind is like a parachute, it works best when open.<
One lens leads to another.